The RailRunner® Transition Unit (TU) provides the means of coupling RailRunner containers/chassis to standard locomotives and railcars equipped with conventional railroad knuckle couplers. Equipped with both a RailRunner coupler and a standard knuckle coupler, the TU is first attached to the lead RailRunner chassis/container before coupling with the locomotive or railcar.
- High Speed Capability: RailRunner bogies have passed all AAR required tests at 70 mph and runs at speeds up to 100+ miles per hour.
- Wheel Wear: RailRunner bogies feature radial steering that mitigates wheel wear and tear, reducing maintenance costs and extending product life.
- Smooth Ride Design: Slackless coupling and air spring shock absorber dampened suspension on bogies insure damage-free transportation and attracts fragile, high-value payloads to rail lanes. The slack-free RailRunner coupler provides almost 100% less slack than conventional intermodal and 95% less slack than typical double stack.
- Rail Car Components: RailRunner bogies are equipped with standard, commercially available railcar equipment, wheels, axles, bearings, couplers/draft gear and braking systems.
- Easy-to-Load Design: RailRunner bogies easily couple with chassis using a failsafe-locking pin that secures the chassis to the bogies. Air suspension allows lifting of the road vehicle providing sufficient wheel clearance for the track.
- Width: 8′ 4″
- Overall Length: 16′ 0″
- Running Height: 45″ (top of rail to center line of drawbar)
- Wheel Base: 6′ 8″
- Weight: 19,000 lbs.
- Max Operating Speed: 70 mph
- Carrying Capacity of Bogie: 91,000 lbs.
- Rail Wheels: AAR J-33, class C, AAR-1B tread
- Roller Bearings: 6″ x 11″ AP type Raised Wheel Seat, Class E
- Operating Air Suspension Pressure: 90 – 110 psi
- Buff/Draft Capability: 400,000 lbs. according to AAR RP-257-90 standards and recommended practice
- Brake System: NYAB TMB 60. Brake Valve DB-60 or equivalent and 1¼” i.d. brake pipe with gladhands
- Forklift Pocket: For easy positioning of the bogie on and off the track; frees track space
- Safety/Security: Optional security package, fully compliant with FRA safety requirements
Download this datasheet in PDF format.